Monday 23 February 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I went to see the film (as with the rest of the world) as soon as it came out in cinemas, partly because I wanted to see what the fuss was about, but mostly because I was hoping to extend my own Bombay Dreams having just returned from India when 'Slumdog' hit the UK screens. Yes yes ok, it's won the oscars. Personally I thought it was a very good film but perhaps not Best Picture material, more derserving winner would have been Wall-E or Dark Knight which weren't even nominated.

Reason why I am talking about slumdog now, post-oscar, is actually a follow on from a conversation I had with my friend Pontus. Now I'd like to point out that this mate of mine is not shy to voice his opinion (bravo to that) and we locked in a discussion over monetary merits for an actors work, namely whether royalty should be paid out for the reusing of an artists' image after the work's been done. Put this in context with massive piracy downloads and shifting use of media, Pontus felt that he didn't need to give them anymore when it is much more beneficial for the artitst to been seen then to be paid. Granted I understand that if this was actually controlled or monitored in anyway by the film industry big cheese, their own profit-margin would shrink. I have a slight tic with piracy (partly because I don't like the cultural association with pirate DVDs) but more often it is about my work earning me a living. I was recently involved in a feature film, my image was never used but I got paid for the shoot anyway, but if my image was used royalties would have been part of my earnings... and if Pontus decided not watch that particular film in cinema but downloaded off piratebay, I may have lost out on a cut of my earnings. (And let me tell you, they don't call us starving artistes for nothing). Various analogies were made to gigging bands but over a few glasses of wine we came to an agreement that it is the 'business model' that needs changing, i.e. the Buyout of my image should be a lot higher and he will still pay to come and see me in a play.

The 'Slumdog' debate I'd like to encourage is the one about the young 'Salim' and young 'Latika' in the film were paid a certain amount of money for the 30 days shoot of their scenes. These two young actors absolutely shone in that film. They continue to live in the slums... now do you think that their work has been paid for even though people across the globe have seen their brilliant performances? If they are reaping the rewards AFTER the work's been done...

Pontus over to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment